And, from here on out, each Sunday, StinkyLulu will offer commentary on one of the five nominees (in no particular order) from a given year in Oscar history. Additionally, on the final Sunday, Lu'll discuss the "field" of five. So, it'll be one nominated performance per week (April has five Sundays this year!) with a wrap-up on the field at month's end.
As an extra bonus, from time to time, Nathaniel at FilmExperience and Nick of Nick's Pick Flicks will join up with the Lu for occasional tandem reviews -- sometimes of a particular performance, sometime of the whole roster of a given year's nominees. (Should you, lovely reader, want to join in the filmfreakfestivities -- just give Lu a holler!)
StinkyLulu Needs Your Vote for APRIL's Screening Schedule!
Below you will find a somewhat arbitrary sampling of Supporting Actress nominees, arranged by year. Your task -- should you choose to accept it -- is to let Lulu know -- either in comments or via email -- your preferred YEAR. A simple majority of votes cast will determine StinkyLulu's screening schedule for April...
So, choose wisely, lovely reader.
The power is in your hands...
- 1940: Jane Darwell in "The Grapes of Wrath", Judith Anderson in "Rebecca", Ruth Hussey in "The Philadelphia Story", Barbara O'Neil in "All This, and Heaven Too", Marjorie Rambeau in "Primrose Path"
- 1949: Mercedes McCambridge in "All the King's Men", Ethel Barrymore in "Pinky", Celeste Holm in "Come to the Stable", Elsa Lanchester in "Come to the Stable", Ethel Waters in "Pinky"
- 1958: Wendy Hiller in "Separate Tables", Peggy Cass in "Auntie Mame", Martha Hyer in "Some Came Running", Maureen Stapleton in "Lonelyhearts", Cara Williams in "The Defiant Ones"
- 1967: Estelle Parsons in "Bonnie and Clyde", Carol Channing in "Thoroughly Modern Millie", Mildred Natwick in "Barefoot in the Park", Beah Richards in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner", Katharine Ross in "The Graduate"
- 1976: Beatrice Straight in "Network", Jane Alexander in "All the President's Men", Jodie Foster in "Taxi Driver", Lee Grant in "Voyage of the Damned", Piper Laurie in "Carrie"
- 1985: Anjelica Huston in "Prizzi's Honor", Margaret Avery in "The Color Purple", Amy Madigan in "Twice in a Lifetime", Meg Tilly in "Agnes of God", Oprah Winfrey in "The Color Purple"
- 1994: Dianne Wiest in "Bullets Over Broadway", Rosemary Harris in "Tom and Viv", Helen Mirren in "The Madness of King George", Uma Thurman in "Pulp Fiction", Jennifer Tilly in "Bullets Over Broadway"
- 2003: Renee Zellwegger in "Cold Mountain," Shohreh Aghdashloo in "House of Sand and Fog," Patricia Clarkson in "Pieces of April," Marcia Gay Harden in "Mystic River," Holly Hunter in "Thirteen"