10.23.2007

To Dos Day

___ Item 1: GET READY...
...for this Sunday's Supporting Actress Smackdown, in which Criticlasm, goatdog, Matt, Keith, Ken, myself and perhaps one or two others will contemplate the actresses at the edge of 1940 -- all at the request of Birthday Boy NICK (who'll be joining the festivities as well). It's a fascinating year, so be sure to click back on Sunday!

___ Item 2: GIVE A BIRTHDAY TOAST...
...to the 2nd Mrs. DeWinter, Joan Fontaine. Stinky pals are popping up hither and yon and beyond again with all kinds of tributes. But I confess that I just adore Self-Styled Siren's account of her almost close encounter. A concentrated jolt of happy, that one. Plus, it reminds me of the time I briefly met Olivia de Haviland. (See, when I was a high school senior, I won this weird prize and Miss Olivia attended a lunch where I -- along with America's Junior Miss -- was among the honorees. Afterwards, she walked right up to me. I remember her wearing a great big sparkly caftan thing, her hair a giant, frosty merengue concoction perched atop her beaming face. Out of nowhere, she grasped my hand with both of hers. "You have very much to be proud of," she said. Her twinkly eyes held my wondering gaze for several long moments before she wafted out the door, leaving me mildly stunned. Behold, the power of glamor. And, I'm chagrined to say, I only barely knew who she was.) So, even though Olivia and Joan weren't always close, I find that I'm reminded of that feeling as I read Self-Styled Siren's tribute. So -- happy happy, Miss Joan...

___ Item 3: DIVINE THE MEANING...
...of a most curious trend. Over the last handful of days, StinkyLulu's traffic has spiked with visits. (And, no, that Towleroad adlet is not the cause.) For some reason, google searchers entering phrases like "whoopi's ghost role" or "whoopi role ghost" are finding their way to StinkyLulu en masse. Most, not all, are from western Virginia and eastern Kentucky/Tennessee. I'm speculating some large college course has a midterm exam/assignment about "whoopi's role in ghost" but I'm wondering. What, lovely reader, are your pet theories as to the cause of this odd little spike in Whoopi obsession?...

___ Item 4: DIDJA HEAR?...
...Dumbledore's a 'mo? Wanted to be sure, cuz you know, it's been kept pretty quiet. And though I love the reactions of Straight Boy Smarties (Example 1 & 2), I must say my reaction seems to waver between "duh" and "whatevah"...

___ Item 5: WHAT ARE YOU...
...gonna be for Halloween? Yeah, yeah - I know last week's Halloween discussion prompt was a giant dud. But I'm still curious, even though I have no costume plans of my own. So, do tell in comments. OR contemplate these charming costume options and let me know your thoughts...

___ Item 6: DECODE THIS "SECRET MESSAGE" FROM STINKYLULU HQ...
...you never gave him your love you never asked for his so that you got to sleep without nothing on you you're not such a dog as you think you are you hide behind a prayer you're tearing me apart. Offer your best guess in comments...



Have at it, lovelies...

6 comments:

Dame James said...

OMG, you've met Olivia de Havilland?! I am so jealous! I would absolutely have DIED if she came up and shook my hand!

Criticlasm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Criticlasm said...

A little google fragmented searching leads me to believe that 'You never asked for his love..." is from East of Eden, and "you're not such a dog as you think you are" is from Marty, so that can only mean it's a smoosh of quotes from 1955, which I'm guessing is next month's smackdown? Okay, what do I win?

I first thought it was a mash-up of Tennessee, but this is much more fun.

Dame James said...

Now I just went back and looked at the German Halloween costumes...I haven't laughed this hard in ages! Those were horrific!

J.J. said...

Regarding de Havilland: That's a *great* story.

jakey said...

Wasn't your Whoopi profile pretty close to when she returned to TV? Maybe it's the whole world having Whoopi fever.

And unless I get a job, I am not being ANYTHING for Halloween. I'll never get a better costume than two years ago anyway, when I wore my roommate Whitey's hunting jacket and just went as him.