Supporting Actress Sundays in June will be devoted to (the envelope please) 1996. (The voting -- which closed at the stroke of midnight -- was quite close. Thanks to one & all who pitched in.) But by a single vote, the nominees for 1996 are:
- Joan Allen, "The Crucible"
- Lauren Bacall, "The Mirror Has Two Faces"
- Juliette Binoche, "The English Patient"
- Barbara Hershey, "The Portrait of a Lady"
- Marianne Jean-Baptiste, "Secrets & Lies"
Well, StinkyLulu's agonna try an experiment....
StinkyLulu's Taking Requests!
Below, lovely reader, you'll find a by-no-means-comprehensive list of worthy contenders among 1996's crop of eligible nominees, each of whom got snubbed when it came time for Oscar's nominations. Your task, lovely reader: Peruse the Snubbettes, Class of '96. Contemplate them. Revel in their wonder. And when you're all done with that (& whatever else tickles that fancy of your'n), decide which Snubbette's performance YOU think StinkyLulu should revisit/review -- then shoot Lu an email making your case. (O'course, please feel free to make a case for any performance not on, or overlooked by, the list as well.) Whichever performances get the most compelling support will get a CouldaShouldaWoulda review on one of June's 3 CouldaShouldaWoulda Wednesdays.
1996's Notable Snubbettes
- Rosanna Arquette, Crash.
- Drew Barrymore, Scream.
- Katrin Cartlidge, Breaking the Waves.
- Julie Christie, Hamlet.
- Miriam Colón, Lone Star.
- Joan Cusack, Mr. Wrong.
- Nandita Das, Fire.
- Kimberly Elise, Set It Off.
- Frances Fisher, Female Perversions.
- Bridget Fonda, Grace of My Heart.
- Goldie Hawn, Everyone Says I Love You.
- Angelina Jolie, Foxfire.
- Lisa Kudrow, Mother.
- Queen Latifah, Set It Off.
- Jenifer Lewis, Girl 6.
- Courtney Love, The People vs. Larry Flynt.
- Mary Tyler Moore, Flirting with Disaster.
- Assita Ouedraogo, La Promesse.
- Elizabeth Peña, Lone Star.
- Mary Kay Place, Citizen Ruth.
- Miranda Richardson, Kansas City.
- Marion Ross, Evening Star.
- Sylvia Sidney, Mars Attacks!
- Juliet Stevenson, Emma.
- Lili Taylor, Girls Town.
- Kristin Scott Thomas, Angels and Insects.
- Marisa Tomei, Unhook the Stars.
- Deborah Kara Unger, Crash.
- Gwen Verdon, Marvin's Room.
- Renée Zellwegger, Jerry Maguire.
June's calendar allows room for 3 Snubbettes to be considered on CouldaShouldaWoulda Wednesdays, with the first Snubbette review appearing next Wednesday (June 7).
So, do drop Lulu a line -- 'tain't no fun without'cha!